Friday, April 25, 2008

Lush Life


I'm about three quarters through Richard Price's Lush Life. I like it, although I don't think it's as good as his last novel, Samaritan. That book focused mainly on the central character, Ray, and the female cop, Nerese, who was was investigating his assault. I thought both of those characters were very well drawn. By contrast, Lush Life has about six or seven main characters, plus several other supporting ones, and the book jumps around a lot. Ray was the "victim" from Samaritan, and I felt like he was a likeable, relatable guy. Eric, the equivalent "victim" in Lush Life (he's not really the victim, but is close enough, since the victim is dead and he was there when it happened) is kind of a jerk, not at all likable. There's two main cops, plus a whole bunch of other ones, including a "quality of life" squad that seems to exist mostly for comic relief. The story is engaging though, and I'm curious how it will all unfold.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think of the end of the book? I was surprised by how anti-climactic it was when they solved the case. But I suppose that's the point - demonstrating "realistic" police procedure. I haven't read Samaritan, but I'm about half-way through Clockers and really loving it.

Cook In / Dine Out said...

Yes!! I totally agree. I thought the ending was a letdown. I really recommend Samaritan, I liked it a lot better than this.