Sunday, May 18, 2008

Love Is a Mix Tape


Friday I started reading Love Is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield. This is Sheffield's memoir, about his life in general, but mostly his relationship with his wife Renee, who died unexpectedly in 1997 after they'd been together only 8 years. So far the tone is fun and upbeat, although surely it will be taking a darker turn later. Each chapter starts with the playlist of a mix tape he or Renee made and recalls that time of his life, frequently with references to the songs on the tape. If you are a music fan, and particularly a mix tape maker (and clearly, given that this is my other blog, I assure you I was), then this aspect of the story should appeal to you. I had boxes of mixes when I was a kid, which later became mix CDs, and now recently iTunes playlists.

No comments: