Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle


I finished reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle this week. I loved the book--one of the best I've read this year. The novel was thoroughly engrossing, and despite its length--562 pages--I got through it in under 2 weeks. The world depicted in the book, rural 1970s Wisconsin, was fully realized, with vivid imagery and detail. I felt "immersed" in the story, even more so in certain scenes, like where Trudy, Edgar's mother, is training him to train the dogs. Other standout passages include tornadoes coming off of Lake Superior, a burning barn, and Edgar's friendship with a man he encounters while on the run. Edgar himself is a wonderful character--intelligent, willful, observant, and very communicative, despite being mute.

Here's a big confession: I'm not a dog person, but after reading this book, I feel like I understand dogs a little better, and therefore might be a little more interested in them. No promises.

1 comment:

John said...

For some reason, I clicked over to your book blog tonight. From the sound of Sawtelle, you might also like "So Young, Brave and Handsome" by Leif Enger. It was my favorite book from last year.